Sunday, June 26, 2011

Throwing in the Towel!

When the conversation about life comes up, I so want to say that it is time to throw in the towel... Life can feel confusing, scary and terrifying, but is there times when saying sayonara can be said that offers the best outcome for all involved? What about when the situations seem impossible and there is no way out and the feeling of hopelessness overwhelmed your every being? And it's like the only possibility is to give up and give in and never look back...



For me it seems that there is a good time to throw in the towel and just give up or give in... But how would you know when that time comes? Would a light bulb go on and you will have this divine inspiration that this is it, this is the time?

The meaning of throw in the towel means to give up...To throw in the towel, an image from the sport of boxing, means to give up a struggle, to quit the fight. What is interesting why is it so important to stay in the fight? This thought comes and goes through out the day and usually deep into the night... Is it so wrong to want to "Throw in the Towel"? Then I go to the thinking that a few of my friends cover and that is that everything is according to God's time... 


God's Time! OK... Where is Dr. Ralph when I need him on this topic... We were having a Bible study at church and it was on time... I think I should have listened more or I would be able to explain this better... I may have to write him about this one and do a followup blog posting... But in my thought time is a man made thing and God doesn't go by our time... So if we are waiting for God's timing, and God doesn't go by timing, then why are we waiting? Some input on the time thing would be helpful or maybe I should have taken notes or something... Oh well!  

OK, back to throwing in the towel... I like what I read on Wikipedia about this... So going to take snip-its from it... 

On occasion there will be times when an issue seems of vital importance, but the consensus is building slowly or is going against you. Sometimes there may be only two of you involved in a dispute. In situations like this, it may only need one person to throw in the towel for the issue to move on. Throwing in the towel doesn't necessarily have to mean you are defeated, only that your argument hasn't carried the day as yet. Instead it may mean you recognise that consensus has not formed around your position, or that the issue is of lesser importance to you.
....it may be that a difficult decision needs discussing, and it could perhaps be better to accept the outcome early and move the discussion onto the implementation of the discussion itself.

Now there are a few things I could add to this, but I'm not... I think about the last sentence where it says that perhaps be better to accept the outcome and more the discussion onto the implementation of the discussion itself and I will add action itself... I'm not  suggesting that we  throw in the towel at the first sign of trouble, but when I get to the second or third red flag, you might want to re-examine things...

I understand that every day people go through the toughest of situations and every day people have to decide if they are going to throw in the towel and give up... Then I think of Job who lost everything and he was able to stand up and take victory in knowing God was there.  I can relate to Job because the temptation to throw in the towel and give up and lose hope and feel deep despair...  

I think one of things that bugs me lately, although I know it is 100% true... When someone tells me that we have to do things according to God's time and some things aren't for us to decide... I hate it when they are right, but it doesn't make me like it any better...  


No comments: