Sunday, August 28, 2011

Why is Life Like a Box of Chocolates?

Remember watching Forrest Gump sitting on the park bench with his chocolates for Jenny and eating a few while he waits on the bus...He is talking to the lady and he tells her that his momma always said "life is like a box of chocolates..." I think there is alot of truth to that saying... There is a video at the bottom of this blog that has the clip from the movie...


The outside of a box of chocolates looks pretty much the same... That is unless it is Valentines Day and the boxes would be dressed up all pretty with laces, ribbons and flowers... On the inside of the box of chocolates you may find chocolates that are ooey and gooey, filled with fudge, nuts and a vast array of other unknown things... I haven't eaten boxed chocolates for a very long time since watching a documentary on how they are made. But I remember I would poke my finger into the chocolate before I would venture into eating it. I knew there was some in that box I didn't want to eat... Even though I would eat the one I took since I ruined it and chock it down, leaving a nasty taste in my mouth... 

I was thinking about what this has to do with life and why is life compared to a box of chocolates... Just like a box of chocolates we have things that come at us that we aren't ready for and we don't like... These things leave a bitter taste in our mouth and lives... These things can come in the form of illness, people, stress and worry... In life we can't stick poke our fingers to test to see if it is going to be something that we will like or will hurt us and not pick that one if we decide we don't like the poke test results... 

I am a person that won't eat anything that smells nasty either... I'm the same way with chocolates... I want to see if they smell good... If they smell nasty I know not to go near it... But then you have those sneaky little ones that smell good and then the deception takes hold, you bite into it to find that it is the worst of the bunch... They are the ones you have to get out of your mouth ASAP or you think you are going to die... It would be nice if in life we could smell out the real things around us and know how bad the outcome would be and we can spit them out of our life... 

What I find is that I am in this place waiting on God... It's like He has given me this box of chocolates and He isn't allowing me to smoosh the middles to see what is inside. I like to hold  or smell the chocolates and see if they are going to be gooey, sweet smelling or hard as a rock. It's almost like He is saying to me, "here take this one... Be patient and soon, I'll let you have another one..." I covered patience in another blog and I wonder if God has a sense of humor when it comes to some things... He must!

In Closing: Not all chocolates taste good. I am pretty sure most have been faced with that box of chocolate and not knowing what we are going to get when we pick up our choice of chocolates... Some chocolates taste better than others; but each one has it's own experience whether that is a good or bad one... I have learned when I get a good one that I should enjoy it, because I know somewhere down the line that I'm going to get one that is going to be not so good. And the not so good ones have shown me that something good is around the corner and will taste better...  I'm glad to know that God is the holder of my box of chocolates because in the end I know I have something great to look forward to...

I should add one other thing about Forest Gump... My daughter Beckiah had this entire movie memorized... It would drive us crazy... I wonder if she can still recite the show... lol... Wonder what kind of candy she would describe her life as? 
Fill in the blank and post your comment or answers: 

If life is like a box of chocolates, my life would be ______________ (name of a chocolate or candy)

Forest Gumps- Life is Like a Box of Chocolates Clip



 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I still recite the movie..No. It drives me crazy now!!!I can't stand the movie LOL..funny how things work out huh...
If my life was like a box of chocolates it would be like..I got 2 of them...and No I'm not explaining "Zero" and "Nutrageous"

Love you mom...Beckiah

Sandie said...

Yeah, that show drives me crazy now,lol and I can thank one person... Hmmmm wonder who that could be, lol...

Love your answer on what candy your life would be... I think mine would be mounds and almond joy... Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't...

JenJen said...

dark chocolate, reese peanut butter cups, or uno bar. cant stand the movie it is to slow.

RevSue said...

Oh the infamous box of chocolates. I remember how my mom and I would love when my dad bought us those Whitman Samplers for Valentines day. We each had to get one.
I would have to agree with you that there is truth in that saying. Life does bring us sweet, chewy,yucky and nutty people and situations into our days. And yes, it would be wonderful if we could poke them or check out the list provided by Whitmans. Unfortunately we don't get that priviledge.
I believe God gave us this 'box of chocolate' lives so that we can experience all the differences in the world and so we can do something about the yucky ones or the ones that put a bad taste in our mouths such as racism, bullies, discrimination, etc.
Our job is to share the wonderful chewy, gooey, sweet, and even nutty ones with those around us.
If the whole world was full of only the good tasting ones it would be a very dull world and no challenges for us.

What kind of chocolate would I be? Almond Joy. Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't. :)