Friday, August 12, 2011

Where Has the Time Gone?

I started working on this blog about 6 weeks ago and just now getting it posted... I guess the title is right... Where has the time gone?

I think about this often... I wonder where the time has gone...  Growing up I would use dates as a measure of when I could do something cool... Like when we are young, we look forward to when we can start school like the big kids do... Then after we started school and the newness wore off, we wanted summer vacation to begin... After a few years in school, we notice that the big kids got to do awesome thing... We wanted to do them too... Once I got out of the 6th grade, I got to go to Jr High and look forward to 8th grade graduation... Here in Utah they don't do that... Then we get to look forward to high school where we can choose our own classes and have boyfriends... I'm sure you're getting the idea... We humans look forward to things based on our age and time...

Me (Sandie) at 18 holding Jessica
I was so excited when I got to Texas and moved in with my then boyfriend and now husband of 30 plus years... Wow, even saying that makes me cringe... When I heard that in Texas you can drink younger than in Arizona where I just moved from, I was excited... Then I hear on the news that they changed it to 21... That was a bummer of a moment... Now I had to wait till I was 21 so I can live it up and go out and drink... Things didn't work out that way though... I got pregnant with my daughter Jessica when I was 17 and had her a few weeks after I turned 18... I never regretted that choice... But the goal of going out and getting sick wasn't what I looked forward to anymore...

I had Jessica and I looked forward to the little things she did, like walking and holding the bottle by herself... What a great day that was, lol... But while being pregnant with Jessica I came down with Guillian Barre Syndrome and was completely paralyzed from my toes to my eye brows... At that point my goals was the relearn how to walk and be able to move my hands and feet as much as  I could.. But every thing I was looking forward to was based on time...

Now I look at my daughters who are 29 and 30 yrs old... I have 4 of the greatest grandsons in the world... When Jessica turned 30, I was like Egads... I am getting old and where has all the time gone... When I was younger I thought 30 was old and I was going to be dead by then, because I wouldn't be able to get around... Now I think about 30 and I think of Jessica and Beckiah... And that makes me feel old that I have daughters that are in their 30's now... My husband just turned 50 and well, I'm not saying how old I am... You will have to figure it out...

I can't help but think about when the girls was going to school and all the goofy things they would say... And now my grandsons say the goofy things and are going to school... I know time marches on, but it would be nice if it would stop... I use to laugh when people would say that they don't know where all the time has gone... Or how they look back and go over the regrets that they didn't spend time with their kids or loved ones... And now the time has passed and they are bringing up the next generation... If you get a chance to listen to the song "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman, then you should... I will put the video on here so you can listen to it... But the words are sooooooooooo true... Before we know it, they are grown up and on their own, raising their own kids... They will one day wonder where the time has gone...


Now when I think about where time has gone, I wonder when time is going to be up... We should make every moment count because it could be our last... There are so many times I turn on the news or talk to someone who has died before their time... None of us should count on time... But we should use what time we have to praise God, share with others and spend time with those who mean the most to us... I think time is a man word, not a God word... But everything we do or for the most part depends on time and we use time as a measure of where we are going and when we need to get there...

My husband Chuck and I was talking and he brought up that I should have included Cats in the Cradle... So below is the video from Cat's in the Cradle by Harry Chapin... Listen to the words... They are so true... I don't know why I didn't think of this video... I guess once in awhile Chuck has a good idea lol ...

 Harry Chapin (December 7, 1942 – July 16, 1981)

No comments: