Saturday, June 18, 2011

Christians That Commit Suicide

First off with this topic I want to put it out there to not worry about this topic... This is based on a conversation I had with someone else... 


This is the gest of the conversation I was having with this person... We come to a point when that pain becomes so overpowering, we cannot bear it, we see no way forward, we are locked into that place where all we see is darkness, although we struggle to search, we cannot find the light at the end of the tunnel...


What Happens When Christians Commits Suicide:

I don't think anyone knows what happens to your soul after committing suicide. If your dying you can ask God to forgive and I'm sure He will . . . but if you're already dead, how can you repent?  I think this is the point that makes me wonder if doing the final deed will forever change the destination of where you should be...That is something that is and probably should be important to anyone... There is always consequences to our actions... 

I wouldn't think that going to heaven is determined by good deeds vs bad deeds... My thoughts have always been that if you are a believer in Christ and have accepted Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior then we are saved... In Romans 10:9 it says that if we confess with our mouths that Jesus as Lord, and believe in our hearts that God raised Him from the dead, that we will be saved...  

Some of my own thoughts: 
  • This is what my brain says and my knowledge says: God never will never will tell His child to kill themselves, God can fix anything. The devils mission plan is to kill, steal, and destroy...
  • Then I wonder if we are Christians, wouldn't God understand that we have suffered pain and suffering take into account and that we would be forgiven for that act of desperation... 
  • I wonder if a Christian does commit suicide and suicide I feel is a sin, but Jesus died for our sins... And if a Christian was to commit suicide in a time of physical weakness, spiritual, or emotional weakness than wouldn't that mean that is a sin that Jesus died for also... 
  • I don't feel that suicide is an act that will make God happy since we are told to treat our body as a temple and suicide would be destroying the temple... 
Views of What Happens after Suicide from Others: These are different views that I found online... 
  • To those of us who dwell or have dwelled in the shadows we sometimes ponder the thought, "Will I go to hell if I commit suicide?
  • 1 Corinthians 3:16-17 Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple.
  • It's not until the mind becomes mature and we believe we are wise and not being like the children God has called us to be that suicide seems like a solution. Suicide is a permanent answer to a temporary problem.
  • suicide is not the best way for a life to end.  God does have something in mind for each one of us, all the way to "the end". In fact, there is a verse I read this morning that applies--I Cor, 1:8--"He will keep you strong right up to the end..." 
  • Murder is a sin. Taking the life of a person is against the laws of man and of God. This precedes the Ten Commandments, and goes back to the murder of Abel in Genesis 3. Suicide is murder; the only difference is that the victim is oneself. Even a murderer can be saved, if he repents. However, one who kills himself can not repent of the sin. He can not have repented ahead of the act, because carrying through on the suicide proves the repentance was not genuine. So, the answer to your question is, the soul of one who commits suicide will probably receive eternal punishment.
  • A Christian is a Christian due to a total belief in Jesus and God. Therefore a true Christian should never reach the point of complete hopelessness that leads to suicide.

My closing thought: The blood of Christ continually cleanses those that have been immersed for forgiveness of sins (1 John 1:7). If we belong to Christ there is the possibility that he will be forgiven even if he cannot repent of the sin. But do we want to rely on possibilities instead of knowing... Not sure what my thought is on that... Is the risk too great? 


Then I wonder if the thoughts the Christian is thinking is actually from Satan and making them feel like there is no other choice and trying to convince them that God will be ok with it and nothing bad will come of the action... Just one of my random thoughts on this... I'm not fond of the saying that "The Devil Made Me Do It!" I don't think anyone can make us do anything, especially something like this... It is all on our own free will... 


If others have their own thoughts on this topic... You are welcome to reply with your feelings... Anyone can comment, but play nice since this is a sensitive topic and we never know who may show up here that may be thinking about suicide...   


I would like to thank my friend who had to do alot of editing of this post... She did great at getting my thoughts across where everyone could understand them... Atleast I think so :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading the post about Set Me Free, then reading this one! I am a Christian and when I was in my early 20's I tried to kill myself. I felt I had nothing to live for. It was out of my own selfishness and circumstances that I felt was beyond my control.

I fight those feelings to this day. Not knowing what will happen when we die or if we have been saved by the blood of Christ if we will be forgiven. Thank you for showing both sides and sharing your views and Scripture that supports the views or opinions. It gives me something to think about the next time I feel I have reached the end of my rope.

Mary Beth

Sandie said...

Hi Mary Beth... Thanks for commenting... This is one of those topics that can be a bit touchy and was thinking twice about posting it...