Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Eat This Not That...

I don't know how many people pay attention to the foods that are in this nifty little book... But it has ruined my dinner many times over and over again... Today I was reading on yahoo about foods not to eat... Click here to read what I am talking about... 


It was saying how when people go out to eat usually they start with an appetizer before the meal...  Once in awhile in the past I would do that too... Not anymore... Like at Denny's they have the sampler... It looks way yummy with cheese sticks, chicken strips and onion rings... And to make it sound even better they use the word crispy, which basically means it is deep fried in a ton of fat... I haven't done that in a long time though since I get sick off of anything that is too greasy and rich... My pancreas has issues with those foods which is a blessing in disguise I guess... 


Sampler at Denny's


Serving Size - 17 oz
Calories - 1380
Fat - 71
Calories From Fat - 640
Saturated Fat - 6

Sodium- 3710




One of the foods did catch my attention on the Eat This Don't Eat That article... And that is the Nachos... 


Applebee’s Chili Cheese Nachos
1,680 calories
108 g fat (40 g saturated)
4,280 mg sodium


When we go to Applebee's once in awhile I would order these, I would be sick, but it was worth it... And looking at the calories, fat and sodium made me even sicker... I don't think we think about what we put into our bodies and use food as a form of comfort... 

I own a few of the Eat This Don't Eat That books and they have a ton of information in them along with healthy choices... But I warn you that when you pick it up and start reading one of the many books, you will be amazed at how many calories, fats and sodiums are in certain foods... No wonder obesity is out of control... I am by no means a skinny minny and I am thankful for books like these to put a perspective on what is really in the foods I eat... Now I just go EWWW when I see certain foods come out of the kitchens at restaurants... I am sure that is a good thing though... 

Now when I go out to eat I usually have no appetizer unless its a bowl of soup... Most places offer soup and salad before your meal arrives anyhow... Besides on most day's I can't keep the foods I eat down so why waste the money... I do love the summers if for only one reason... The fresh fruits are all over the place... I try to keep stocked up on oranges, bananas, strawberries, peaches watermelon and cantaloupes... I think I could totally be a vegetarian if fruits were fresh all year around and not from a hothouse... 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will never be able to eat the sampler at Denny's again. I knew it wasn't good for me, but that is alot of calories and fat.