Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Point Loma Road Trip- Maybe?

I know you all are probably sick of my thinking I need to or want to take a road trip... Tonight I came across this page on MSNBC that was talking about the best places to take a road trip... We were discussing the places on Facebook too... Ten Greatest American Road Trips... There was a couple of places that sounded good to me, but then I think I would have to add one place... I think it would be cool to do the Monterrey -Morro Bay and San Francisco... My added location would be in Southern Cal and it is Point Loma Nazarene College...

Cross overlooking the Ocean at Point Loma
From some of my other posts, you probably noticed that I was raised Nazarene... The area where Point Loma is located is gorgeous... It is on top of the cliffs over looking the ocean... It is close to Ocean Side and San Diego... What is awesome is that with it being a Christian University, and then the beauty of the place, it seems right... It's a place where you can feel and know God is there... We use to go with our church during the summers and Point Loma would let us stay in the dorms during the summer... Every morning we would wake up to see the dolphins playing in the water... If you had the rooms that overlooked the ocean, you would wake up to some amazing sights... They have light houses and many places you can go to close to the University...

We would be sure to stop off at the Veterans Cemetery... I never got out of there without being chocked up... When you see thousands and thousands of headstones that overlook the ocean and the vessels from the Coast Guard I believe and how each of those headstones represents the lives that were given so we could have freedom... How can someone not get chocked up?

I didn't know any of the names there, but if you ever get a chance to go to a cemetery like this, it is overwhelming and makes me atleast thankful for what they gave up... I think I always come back being thankful because usually we are at the college looking around or something and when you do  go here, it put's things into perspective, for me it does at least...

Then you have the lighthouses that is called Point Loma Lighthouses... This is way pretty... On this thought, it reminds me I need to drop off a lighthouse to my friend BJ... I need to make a note about that... But these are pretty cool light houses and you can see Mexico... Today Old Point Loma Lighthouse is at the Cabrillo National Monument, in the San Diego Harbor...

The first picture is of the old Point Loma lighthouse and the second one is the one there now... I guess they replaced the old one...  This information I had to borrow from thier website... Point Loma was one of the original 8 west coast lighthouses, built in 1855 in the Cape Cod style that was used for all of them. The forty foot tower rises from the center of the keeper's house, fitted with a third-order fresnel lens.

After writing this blog, I think I could be content with just San Diego/Point Loma since they are in the same area...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures Sandie. Sounds like a nice place to go visit. Here is hoping you don't do a road trip by yourself. I have a feeling you will have everyone worried. You get lost where you live "Smile". How far is this from where you live now anyhow?

JenJen said...

About a 6-7 hour trip to the old Lighthouse. We went there in 09 and it was so so so beautiful. I loved it. it was abit of a walk though and needs to be done in moderation and a meduim pace so you can take in the scenery. i have lots of pictures from this trip i will show you Sandie. Love to go with you so I see it again.