Sunday, January 4, 2009

Was thinking About todays Lesson at Church


Today's sermon was on "Love One Another". What I was thinking about is the thought that when people look at me, do they see that I love others and love God or do they see me as a person that is acting like a Christian?

The Text was taken from 1 John 4:7-21:

7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son[a] into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for[b] our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

13 We know that we live in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit. 14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15 If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in him and he in God. 16 And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.
God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. 17 In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. 18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

19 We love because he first loved us. 20 If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. 21 And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.

God's nature is:
God is "truthful" (3:33);
God is "spirit" (Jn. 4:24);
God is "light," (1 Jn. 1:5);
"faithful and just" (1 Jn. 1:9);
"greater than our hearts" (1 Jn. 3:20);
"God is love" (4:8; 4:16).

Thought 1:
What I think about is our own nature. We are suppose to be like God and there is no way we have this kind of perfected love(Agape). We are all sinners and fall short in some way. If someone says they are perfect, then we know they are lying. There is this guy at my work that always tells me that I would do nothing wrong. I tell him, I am far from perfect and he looks at me in disbelief. He thinks I am the closest to perfect humanly, lol. Although his thought gives me an ego boost, it is far from the truth. I would hope that people look at me and see Gods love through me and that I have many flaws, but that God still loves us through all the flaws.

Thought 2:
I think about God's judgment. I know when it comes to my kids I can be a bit more judgmental on them then I am on someone else. I think it is because I know what their potential is and what they can and can't do. I know that God loves me and I wouldn't want to hurt him, but there is this thought I have that takes me back to when I was younger and even now, when I get in trouble and am getting spanked or grounded or chastised. I dread that moment. Even though it is out of concern. But there is this fear of getting in trouble and facing the one you did wrong too. But I am counting on the part where God says if you ask for forgiveness, it is wiped from his memory and no longer exists, lol.

Closing Thought:

If we love God, we will obey him and, to obey God is to love others. In loving others as Christ loved us, we gain confidence that we belong to God’s family. Therefore, love is a compelling means of increasing assurance of salvation.

God sent His only Son, Jesus Christ to die for our sins and is the son of God. In order to know for sure you will be going to heaven. You must admit sincerely that you are a sinner and that Jesus is the Son of God...

When people look at you or describe you, what are they saying and what message are you sending to others?

Invitation: If anyone who lives in the St. George, Utah area wants to hear more on this topic. Pastor Dean is covering this topic still. We are studying the book of 1 John. St. George Community Church is located at 95 S. 800 East. Across from Dixie State College

No comments: