Monday, September 12, 2011

Grandparents Day

I think many didn't know that also on September 11th, we celebrate Grandparents Day... I would like to say one thing... When looking at the picture below and you see how the grandparents are up there in years and grey and stuff... You know what grandparents should look like according to many... I have to say that I have 4 grandsons and I don't have grey hair like that... Hmmm, are they stereotyping or what?  


In 1978, President Carter proclaimed Grandparent's Day as a National Holiday, to be celebrated in September. 


Grandma Minnie, Grandpa Doyle,
Grandpa Harry and Grandma Davis (1962)

Grandparents are our heritage and are essential members of our families and communities.  That is why a special day, National Grandparent's Day, is set aside every year to honor them.  Here is an opportunity for you to spend some time with your grandparent, have fun, and create a project together that spotlights his or her life. 


I would like to give tribute to my grandparents... All are in the arms of Jesus right now and their memories live on... Here are my memories of my grandparents... 

Grandpa Harry- He was a quiet man who loved my grandma Grace... I can remember one late night that grandpa was sitting out on the porch and he was crying... He wanted to be with Grandma Grace... I never knew how lonely and how much she was his rock until that point... When she died, a part of him died too... Grandpa loved to garden and read books... We would find him in his room reading all the time... 
Sister Brenda, Grandpa Harry and Grandma Grace


Grandma Grace- I loved my Grandma Grace... She had a bit of a temper, but you knew she loved you... She would get mad, throw boots and swear at us in German... It's kinda funny when I say she swore in German when she was also a Sunday School teacher... Two of my fondest memories of Grandma was at Christmas time... She loaded her bed full of toys and we got to choose out what we wanted... None of them were wrapped... I chose out a purple stuffed poodle first... And then I remember how much she loved red tulips... We went to visit her after her leg got amputated and I remember picking red tulips in our front yard and bringing them to her... 


Grandpa Doyle- Grandpa Doyle (Duggen) was my dads dad... Everyone called him Duggen for some off the wall reason... He was a farmer through and through... What I remember most about him was when we lived in Hyder Az, he would take us on hikes... We went up to a mountain called Montezumas Head... He would teach us about rocks and stuff... But it was pretty awesome that he took the time to do that with us... Grandpa was very limber, even into later in life... He could walk on his knees with his legs crossed... He was also funny when he would visit us from Indiana... He wanted my mom to make her special Mexican dish of lasagna,lol... He didn't know it was Italian, he knew we lived close to Mexico, so it meant it was Mexican,lol... 


Grandma Minnie- I really don't remember her... She died in an explosion from what I understand... I was too young... 


Grandma Becky- Oh how I loved Grandma Becky... She had a potty mouth like you wouldn't believe... She taught me how to walk on one of those wooden wheels that you use for cables...Not sure if you know what I mean... But they are huge... My parents would get so mad at the stuff we would get into when grandma Becky was around... I think also I remember how she swore when she was in the hospital that she would outlive my grandma Doyle if it took all she had... She used other colorful words, but not putting them here... But she was hilarious... And she did outlive my grandpa by two weeks... I don't have any pictures of her... But the picture I have here fits her... 


Then I would like to add a special part to this for my grandsons... I have 4 of the cutest grandsons ever... My oldest is Tyson, then there is Jace and Ashton... These boys are my daughter Beckiah's boys... And then Jason(JJ), is my youngest belonging to Jessica... Both of my daughters married guys named Jason... They wanted to confuse me, and believe me when I say, that is not hard to do... 
I love all of my grandsons and I would like to wish everyone a happy Grandparents Day... 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

brinkka2011 says: Ive been meaning to read this and just never got a chance. Its an issue that Im very interested in, I just started reading and Im glad I did. Youre a wonderful blogger, 1 of the most effective that Ive seen. This weblog undoubtedly has some facts on topic that I just wasnt aware of. Thanks for bringing this stuff to light.