Saturday, September 17, 2011

Why Call Someone Dead, "Late"?

Princes Diana's Funeral 
I was reading about Prince Harry and they were saying he is the youngest son of the late Princes Diana of Wales... Now what I think of when I hear the word late is that they aren't going to be on time, but eventually will make it... I wouldn't think that Diana living would be late for anything anyhow... For example when someone is suppose to be at a specific location or meet someone at 8:00 am and they show up at 9:00 am... Then they would be considered late... Now my mind is wondering about why they call people that have died, "late"...


Here are some of the theories out there for using the term LATE...

Perhaps the most common reason behind such usage is for purposes of softening the blow.  When people refer to individuals who have passed away, and especially when they are loved ones or family members, it’s tough to actually state that they are “dead.”  That’s why we look for ways to make it sound softer and lighter to listen to.


It’s very grave when we call someone “dead.”  Terms like “passed away” or “late” is then more preferred when it comes to calling the recently deceased. Dead is a strong word that might not be suitable for use especially in sensitive situations.  That is why you often hear people referring to their deceased loved ones as “late.” 


My thoughts are that the word "late" makes me feel like they are going to be walking through the door at some point in time... I guess when I die, it's OK to use the word that I am dead, gone, with Christ, or passed away... I don't like to be late to places, so I would prefer people not use that term when talking about me being dead... I think the word "dead" is OK to use anyhow... Some say it is harsh to say it that way... To me I wonder if it is harsher for someone to expect their loved one to show up at the next family dinner. I would find peace in knowing that my loved one is no longer suffering and are with Christ... We are dead in some sense, but alive in Christ... That is if you are a believer in Christ and have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior... 


In closing: My wondering mind has not been put at ease and I am still wondering about using the term "late" for someone who has died... I looked it up and they all say that it is a nicer way to say that someone has died... Hmmmm... Maybe that's why Elizabeth Taylor wanted to be late for her own funeral...   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glaw??